Saturday, January 24, 2009

I love Scotland .... I hate Scotland ... I am indifferent to Scotland

Rik here ...

Since there hasn't been a whole lot going on lately, we've laid off the blog postings.  I'm not sure what the interest level is in an ordinary Scottish Saturday - haircut, hit the shops to find an tartan necktie for Burns Supper, recover from nasty cold, etc ...  I guess the only really exciting thing happening regards travel - we've booked another long weekend trip to Holland for around the 14th of February, and my sister Hanneke and her husband Jul are going to be our first official out-of-town guests when they drop by on the back of a trip to Spain in April.  For all those interested in future trips to the (new) ancestral home of Clan Brooymans, I'll try and induce Hanneke to use her unparalleled journalistic skills to post a review of the hosts and accommodation.  I worry about her journalistic integrity though, it may be too high to lie for her little brother.  The last little travel tidbit concerns Casey, as we've started to receive quotes for bringing her in to Scotland.  A touch expensive, but she's a good dog and probably worth it.  If we find that's not the case she'll just have to get a part time job to pay us back.

Anyway, as I didn't really have anything to say, I thought I would just expound a bit on those things in Scotland that we love and hate.  We're both big fans of lists, so I feel top 10s are appropriate.

Top 10 Things We Dislike About Scotland

1.  Separate faucets for hot and cold water.  You can either scald your hands under hot water, or freeze them under cold, no happy medium.  
2.  Small roads.  Parked cars on both sides.  Claustrophobics beware!
3.  Shifting gears with your left hand.  That takes some time to get used to.
4.  Aberdeen traffic.  1-1.5 hours to get the 6 miles from home to office, on the bus, in a bus lane.  Ridiculous.
5.  Complicated driving registration.  Taxes, environmental inspections - all without reminder.
6.  Separation from family and friends.  
7.  Luggage arrival belt at Aberdeen airport.  Come and visit and experience for yourself.
8.  An unhealthy obsession with X-Factor.
9.  A complete and total inability to get Aunt Jemima pancake syrup.


Top 10 Things we like about Scotland

1.  Easy travel connections to Europe.
2.  Greenery.  Lots of greenery.
3.  History - everywhere.
4.  The weather.  Yeah, I said the weather.
5.  Having things within walking distance.
6.  A strong cultural community.
7.  Good dining at all levels - fine dining, pub food and in between.
8.  Cranachan.  That's from Fiona.
9.  The international flavour of Aberdeen brought by the large ex-pat community.
10.  The accent.
11.  Wool shops for the knitter in the house.
12.  Architecture - spires, granite, elaborate carvings, and that's on a local restaurant.
13.  A ten minute drive (not in rush hour, naturally) brings you out to some of the most picturesque scenery you have ever seen.  The winding roads through villages, moors, rolling hills, mountains and sea-side cliffs.

Well, apparently I'm having trouble counting.  But I think you get the picture.  The things we dislike are small details, but the things we love are all big picture, quality of life stuff.

I think we're going to head off now the farmer's market on Belmont Street.  It's been recommended by my co-workers.

Before I go, a recommendation of our own.  We thoroughly enjoyed the movie "Definitely, Maybe" yesterday.  Fiona perhaps a little more than me, but that had more to do with Ryan Reynolds than anything else.  As far as romantic comedies go, it was pretty good.

Cheers,
Rik

No comments: