Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Autumn

It's definitely autumn now, and threatening to move quickly through into winter. The days flip schizophrenically between crisp, clear, blue-skied wonder and long, dark, dreary spells of rain. The former puts me in a great mood - being possibly my favourite season. I love being able to walk around in a forest of multi-coloured leaf litter wearing a good thick sweater and coming back an hour later with the faintest tingle of coldness on the tips of your ears. No bugs, no sweating and a reduced number of people doing the outdoorsy bit. The grey days have their benefits too, giving you the perfect excuse to have a relaxing day in, catching up on your reading (Churchill's 'History of the English Speaking Peoples') or movies ('Away We Go' and '500 Days of Summer' - see them both), or even dashing between house and car and then car and Cineplex to see something good, like 'Despicable Me', the best animated movie since 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs'.

We haven' really been up to much lately. Work has been hectic and we've taken a lot of time to just relax after some crazy weeks. Tidying things up, planning vacations and ... other stuff I'm sure, but I just don't remember. See on Sunday I was rummaging around in the cupboard-underneath-the-stairs to try and find a something or the other and upon exiting head my head on the door frame in a truly epic fashion. I didn't quite knock myself unconscious, but perhaps that would have been better. It defined my weekend. People ask, "so what did you do this weekend"? "Hit my head".

I'm hoping the foggyness lifts in time for this weekend, as we're off to London on Friday evening for a weekend trip. I have a ticket to the annual NFL game at Wembley on Sunday night, and I'm reasonably excited, even though I defy anyone to choose two more ridiculously awful teams to play. Oh well, it should be fun regardless.

In the meantime, Roger is here to visit. Hopefully the weather will change and he and Fiona will be able to get in a golf game or two. He's dogsitting Casey this weekend, and we have a couple more days together after we get back from London.


No comments: