Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Irn Bru Commercial Update

Rik here ...

Enjoying a half day off and relaxing a little before a dinner party tonight.  Fresh sausage rolls are in the kitchen waiting for a midnight snack to be had with hot chocolate and Baileys.  Does it get better than that?

Fiona and I were watching the telly this afternoon and caught a traditional Christmas show called "the Snowman".  Apparently it is an institution here, just like Rudolph and the Grinch are in North America. 

About half way through the show there's a flying sequence that was obviously the source for the Irn Bru commercial we posted earlier this week.  It just reinforced the brilliance of the commercial.  And as much as we mock the power of advertising these days, I really want to try an Irn Bru now.  I'll actually think less of myself if I don't like it ...

Fiona just poked me when I wrote about the Grinch.  She hasn't seen it this year due to the inability of British broadcasters to "get with the program" and the fact that our DVD version is North America format (and packed into a box in a storage locker in Houston).  I for one was never as enamored with the Grinch as Fiona and my sister, Hanneke, always were.  For me, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer was tops.  An elf who wanted to be a dentist?  A creepy talking snow man?  I have a feeling you could probably teach a college level Visual Arts class on the content of that cartoon.  So it's time for an informal poll: which was your favorite - Grinch or Rudy?

Cheers and Merry Christmas,

Rik and Fiona

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We were actually just having a discussion trying to remember the little elf's name... Rudy I guess. I think mine would be Rudolph as well as I remember that more from childhood than the Grinch. We just bought the boys the Grinch for Christmas though and they've been watching Rudolph every day for the last week on Treehouse so once I read them the Grinch I'll let you know which is their favorite ;)