Friday, June 19, 2009

Paris - Day 3























First things first - a very happy birthday to my fabulous young wife. It truly is great to spending it with you in Paris!

Our feet had recovered somewhat from our previous day's excursion, and it was a good thing, too, because they were seriously put to the test today. We got up early, grabbed a quick croissant and grabbed the train out of town towards Versaille. By the time we arrived at 9:30, the crowds were already gathering and the school trips were pulling up in their busloads. I thought that was something I would have a hard time with, the crowds, but it has been easier to take than I thought. You just resign yourself to the fact that there will always be someone in your otherwise perfect picture, that everything worth seeing will have a line and that a constant dull roar of noise will be in the background. I was joking today that as a Canadian I never really grew up with a good perception of what "busy" is.

Versaille was, of course, magnificent. We enjoyed every aspect - the Grand Apartements, les jardin, le Trianon and the Queen's Hamlet. It really is worth the trip for anyone visiting Paris. I'll let the pictures do the talking and sign off early tonight ...

No comments: