Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Ladies of Crathes Castle








Another beautiful day in Aberdeen and surroundings. Some took advantage by enjoying a spectacular day in the climate controlled confines of a dreary office. Others wandered in a castle garden ...

Fiona and Ethna went to Crathes Castle. We had been there before, during the Christmas season when it is all decked out in true Victorian style. The castle gardens then were dead and gone and we made a note that we had to go back sometime. This time the gardens were in their full glory. Personal favorites were the fountains and topiaries, the butterflies, hollowed out yews and Ethna's well favoured geraniums.

The castle was enjoyable too. The Green Lady room did not reveal its resident ghost, but the nursery and the muse room were impressive.

A trip to the local garden centre was also called for, as all the recent rain had wreaked havoc on our garden pots. The soil had liquefied and all the plants had died. New plants were bought and there is now some gardening to be done.

I had another golf lesson today. Some of the advice is starting to sink in. I have high hopes that the next time I golf with Ryan, Mr. Munro won't be commenting on my "quasimodo" golfing style. It's an admirable goal that I set for myself: reduce the mocking to a tolerable level. I still don't know how I would handle someone making fart noises during my backswing ...


No comments: