Friday, March 19, 2010

After all the drama - three minors!



I passed my driver's test this afternoon. It was a beautiful day, 15C and sunshine, so no chance of being snowed out again this time. I had been practicing my maneouvers - parallel park, three point turn, reverse around a corner and bay parking - I was ready. The nerves were acting up because I really didn't want to have to deal with the hassle of doing the test again. In the practice session with the instructor before the test things were kind of hit and miss. A perfect parallel park, followed by a totally rubbish roundabout.

I thought the gods were against me when, after only about a minute or so, the test supervisor asked me to head back into the testing facility. Apparently my e-brake was not of the type allowed. I protested however and demonstrated that my car could roll down the hill just like any other and eventually we went back out onto the road to complete the test. In the end I received only three minor faults. But as one was for driving too fast and another was for driving too slow, I figure that they cancel each other out and I had one minor fault.

As I receive one set of legal documents, a big congratulations goes out to my mother-in-law, who just received her American citizenship. She worked hard to pass the requisite tests, please forward any American history questions to her in the future.

Fiona, Roger and Cathy went up Benachie the other day, or at least as far as the snow pack allowed. They continue to do a lot of walking while I sit idle at work. I feel I won't be able to keep up with them this weekend.

A side benefit of their hikes and outings, besides the great pictures, is that I come home every evening to a dead tired dog. We feel a little guilty sometimes that we don't walk Casey enough, but this past week we've been guilt free. I think she doesn't mind when we leave the house in the evening for a dinner out, so she can sleep in peace.

We took a rocket cab back from our dinner tonight. Union Street to home in just over 60 seconds. Total cost, 80 pence. It was either amazing or frightening, or maybe a little bit of both. While there have definitely been times while I was sitting in other cabs that I wished they shared a little more in common with the Rocket Cab, I don't think a constant dosage of Rocket Cabs would be good for my stress level.

No comments: